- 1.5 heads of red cabbage (1.5 heads)
- 2 tablespoons salt (sea salt or kosher)*
*Must use a non-iodized salt for fermentation to work.
2 Quart Jar (recommended: wide-mouth mason jar)
- Rinse cabbage. Remove and discard the outer leaves. Slice cabbage and place in large bowl
- Add 2 Tablespoons of salt and mix into shredded cabbage. Let sit for 2 hours at room temperature. (The salt will release water from the cabbage)
- Pour cabbage into a strainer to remove liquid. Using your hands, pack the cabbage tightly into the jar and fill it to the top. It is important to really pack it down tightly to minimize air inside.
- Ferment at room temperature for 5 days. Then keep refrigerated as you enjoy.